Thursday, August 13, 2009

Peaceful

Today was the first official day back to school for our district. We had meetings most of the day and one of mine was with the principal. I am starting at a new school this year and hadn't had a chance to talk with RR (the principal). The hard part about this is the simple fact that I HAD TO MOVE!


My first year teaching was 2001 - this is my eighth year of teaching. I taught 2 years at the high school level. While there I moved classrooms in the middle of the year. I then moved to an elementary school where I stayed for two years. While there - I switched rooms. I then switched districts where I have been teaching for the last 3 years. While there - we moved rooms. This brings us to the present and my current move.


On the flip side - I'm excited to be given this opportunity. Another aspect of my teaching career is that I have yet to be 'in charge' of my own program. At the high school I was part of a department and they pretty much dictated what I taught. Since moving to the elementary level I have team taught with another special education teacher. The first two years I was the RSP teacher (learning handicapped students who are pulled from the classroom for less then half their day) and the other person was SDC (students spend 1/2 - all day in another room for academics). At both school we had a learning center model which means that all students are mainstreamed for at least a portion of the day. Some students come to the learning center for 30 for intervention type help while others may be in the learning center for language arts and math.


The school I am at now has only had RSP in the past but ran a learning center model in that the special education teacher also took general education students who were in need of the same instruction she was providing the her students. This year I will be bringing the first SDC students the school has ever had and begin running a complete learning center that will serve general education students through SDC students.


I've spent the week getting my room ready and have found myself stuck on stupid and wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew. The room was more of a disaster than I had originally thought. There was a lot of stuff left in the room that I had to go through and figure out what was what. I didn't like the room arrangement the teacher before had so I had to move all the cabinets, bookshelves and file cabinets. Then I had to figure out where to put all my stuff.


It doesn't help that I tend to be a bit anal when it comes to organization. Similar curriculum should be group with each other. Sets should be in order, things labeled so you know where it all is and the room needs to feel serene. The atmosphere of a classroom makes a huge differece in how well students attend and learn. I try to create a warm, cozy place where they feel safe to come and be themselves. I'm trying to do that this year by using more muted colors, no bright wild borders and the flow of the room is smooth and open. When I have things done I'll post a photo - if I remember! :)


You may not be a teacher but we've all been to school and had a favorite teacher or class. What was it that made that teacher stick in your mind? Do you remember the decorations on the walls?


Time to sign off - more meetings tomorrow.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Teachers can make a real difference. Those who care about what they do make the greatest difference. All the best for the new year ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tabitha both for the well wishes and the award. I love teaching and if there ever comes I time that my heart is no longer in it I will retire. I see too many teachers showing up only for the paycheck and they're typically unhappy & bitter which comes across to the students. Learning happens much better in a room that is welcoming and happy!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear what you have to say so leave a word or two before you go.