Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Where does the time go?


Summer flew by like a tornado and the school year is off at a whirlwind pace and I'm hanging on by a thread; flopping around like a sheet on the clothesline. The last 5 years I've team taught the special ed learning center program at two respective schools. On top of moving to a new school, this year I am the only special education teacher at the school and am charged with the task of firmly establishing a learning center model for the school. I have 17 students on my case load ranging from mentally retarded (yes we still use those words in the special ed world) to learning disabled. The learning center model places all students in the general classroom for a portion of their day and they come to the learning center for specific instruction. In addition, any other students, even those who are not identified, come to the learning center if their academic needs can best be met by the level of instruction being offered. That's a rather rudimentary definition but all the more I want to go into at this point.


Besides myself I have two instructional assistants who are able to teach small groups during the day. It is my job to establish the schedule, determine what will be taught by whom and gather together all the necessary curriculum and supplies. Essentially I am creating two math lessons, two language arts lessons and providing specific intervention for 17+ students that all have learning disabilities. Basically, I've come to realize that age old reminder that 'you don't know what you have 'till it's gone'.

I wrote this on Wednesday and am just now getting around to checking/posting. I have felt several steps behind and am hoping to get caught up this weekend but it's going to mean sticking to my guns and not letting laziness take over. I need to set up a schedule - I'm thinking I'll read/comment on certain days and post on others; taking a day or two off. I know I'm not the only working mom who is blogging. '

How do you manage to fit it all in?

2 comments:

  1. I am impressed, my friend, beyond words. Experience tells me that you have quite a massive amount on your plate. More power to you!
    I worked in Special Ed in the 70's and never experienced such a dysfunctional system. Now it was almost 30 years ago AND my class was in small-town Bessemer, Alabama, but my Lord, the situation was deplorable.
    First of all, the student's diagnoses were all over the place, and some were downright wrong. It took our classroom experience to discover that one little boy was not retarded at all, but simply mimicking his grandmother's speech at home. That was heartbreaking, the poor child had lost years of "normal" education when all he needed was speech therapy.
    And finally, I think the most frustrating thing-and the very reason I did not go into education as my college major-was that politics determined almost every aspect of my class. Funding was foremost in the administration's minds, "the hell with the children" seemed to be the attitude...I realize that seems harsh, but I was young and idealistic at the time.
    So, I suppose in retrospect, I caved. I believe I would have been a good teacher, but this experience soured me. I become so upset thinking about this even now! I really admire your spunk and perseverance.
    I hope the educational system has evolved to be of service to the teachers and students of this world, particularly children with special needs!
    Laurel
    PS: Thanks for letting me vent! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sherrinda for your kind words and I have a similar range of disabilities - new student tomorrow to add to the mix. I love my job though and wouldn't trade it for anything right now.

    Laurel, I think there have been a lot of positive changes in education over all; however, there are still schools and districts that have problems. The politics in education came close to keeping me out of the classroom as well but I determined that there are politics in any job and I would rather be doing something I find joy and fulfullment in doing. And your welcome to vent anytime you desire. That's the point isn't it?

    Goodnight!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear what you have to say so leave a word or two before you go.